50517, built in December 1957, is a Driving Motor Composite Lavatory (DMCL) vehicle, weighing 31 tons and seating 12 first class and 54 second class passengers in three saloons. Two passenger vestibules separate the saloons with passengers exiting the vehicle through four exterior doors. Additional doors are located in the drivers cab. 50517 is fitted with two standard Leyland 680 horizontal diesel engines providing 300hp. Standard British United Traction (BUT) transmissions and control systems enable 50517 to operate in multiple with any vehicles that carry the “Blue Square” DMU coupling code, which is the most common.
50517 was preserved by the group in 1992 and was put into store whilst work was being undertaken on 50454 and 50528.
Between 1997 and 2004 50517 was fully restored to 1950's