50528, built in February 1958, is a Driving Motor Composite Lavatory (DMCL) vehicle, weighing 31 tons and seating 12 first class and 54 second class passengers in three saloons. Two passenger vestibules separate the saloons with passengers exiting the vehicle through four exterior doors. Additional doors are located in the drivers cab. 50528 is fitted with two standard Leyland 680 horizontal diesel engines providing 300hp. Standard British United Traction (BUT) transmissions and control systems enable 50528 to operate in multiple with any vehicles that carry the “Blue Square” DMU coupling code, which is the most common.
50528 was preserved by the group in 1992 but has never been used directly in the group's fleet. Upon preservation, it was one of three vehicles put onto long term loan to Llangollen Railcars Limited, a relationship we are pleased to say has been long and very beneficial for the three Class