56182, built in April 1958, is the only surviving Class 104 Driving Trailer Composite Lavatory (DTCL) vehicle, weighing 24.5 tons and seating 12 first class and 54 second class passengers in three saloons. Two passenger vestibules separate the saloons with passengers exiting the vehicle through four exterior doors. Additional doors are located in the drivers cab. 56182 is fitted with standard (BUT) control systems enabling it to operate in multiple with any vehicles that carry the “Blue Square” DMU coupling code, which is the most common.
56182 was preserved by the group in 2000 and was put into store whilst work was being undertaken on 50455, 50517 and 59137.
In 2008 a limited cosmetic/mechanical restoration was completed to allow 56182 to operate demonstration Sandite trains being towed by a Class 37 as a feature of a Railcar