M50455/M50517. This was the first real freight the set has carried in preservation.
The 10 barrels were then transported the 2.5 miles south from Cheddleton to Consall, arriving at 12:30. M50455 positioned over the foot crossing. Two lengths of wood were placed in the set of double doors, and with a “hop” sack at the bottom to cushion the landing; one by one the 10 barrels were rolled down to the pub, making a little bit of history in the process. When the deliveries were switched to road in the 1950’s and the line threatened by closure, who could have predicted that 50 years on, beer would return by rail?